RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, October 31, 2014

As some of you may know, I've been paying attention to what the Chicago Cubs do since about 1945. Actually, I was probably more of a fan of the New York Yankees in those days. To prove it, I entered an essay contest in Cedar Rapids in the 1940s, and finished in second place. The idea was for kids to write about their favorite major league baseball player. At the time, Joe DiMaggio of the Yankees was my favorite. I knew that the Cubs had lost the 1945 World Series to Detroit, but I can't recall anyone who played for the Cubs at that time. At some point, I quit rooting for the Yankees and began hoping the Cubs would win. That was a turning point in my life. I began cheering for underdogs, and I've been doing it ever since. I mean, guess who covered most of Iowa's football games in that horrible 19-year period during the previous century when the Hawkeyes didn't have one winning season? Me. Champion of the underdogs. That's why I care what the Cubs do, and most of what they've done in my lifetime is lose. But now I have hope. I hear that a man named Joe Maddon will be the Cubs' new manager. He's been the skipper of the Tampa Bay Rays, formerly known as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, of the American League. I looked him up in the Tampa paper and found out that his players like him, he's regarded as a smart skipper, he drives an RV, he likes to drink wine and he recently changed his Twitter handle to #maddonini. I don't plan to communicate via Twitter with Maddon or Maddonini, and I probably won't be having a glass of red wine with him [or them] anytime soon. But I do hope ol' Joe [the man is 60] gets the Cubs out of last place in the National League Central. They've been there too damn long.

Joe Maddon