RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Larry Morgan Still Going Strong

For one reason or another, I don't get to the free-pie-day get-togethers at the Village Inn restaurant as often as I'd like these days. But I did make it to today's session, and it was good to see Larry Morgan there, along with Mike Mahon, Paul Morrison and others. The longtime radio and TV sportscaster has been a friend of mine since the Bob Ortegel basketball coaching days at Drake. Ortegel first was an assistant coach with the Bulldogs, then was the head coach  from 1975 through 1981. Ortegel surprised me [probably Morgan, too] and just about everyone else around the Drake scene by having a 19-10 record in his first season. He culminated things by coaching the Bulldogs to the National Commissioners Invitational Tournament championship in Louisville, Ky. Consequently, he was the only coach [and still is] to lead a Drake team to a national basketball title of any kind. Morgan and I got along so well with Ortegel that he invited us to his players' and coaches' pregame meals on road trips. Morgan and I talk about those favors whenever we bring up the old days. Anyway, Morgan told me today over coffee at Village Inn [I'd already consumed my blueberry pie and Morgan was taking his pie home] that he'll be doing play-by-play again this season on Mediacom on telecasts of Drake men's basketball games. He also told me he'll be announcing a few Central Iowa Metro League high school games. Larry still does excellent work, and I'm assuming he'll keep doing it for quite a few more years.