RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, December 30, 2016

By RON MALY
I was intending to write something about movies before the year ended, and today I'm keeping that promise.
But this is not what I was planning to write.
This one is about Debbie Reynolds, and it is with a heavy heart that I am writing it.
Let me start by stating that present-day movies don't interest me much.
I think it's been more than a year since I've seen one in a theater.
I can't tell you the name of one movie that's popular now.
The golden age of movies for me was when I was a kid and a young adult.
That's where Debbie Reynolds enters the picture, so to speak.
Unless you've been on Jupiter or Mars lately, you know that 84-year-old Debbie Reynolds died this week--the day after her daughter, 60-year-old Carrie Fisher died.
Like her mother, Carrie Fisher was quite the entertainer.
But Carrie obviously grew up in a different era than Debbie and a different era than me.
I didn't know and didn't care that much about Carrie.
I'm sure she was very talented, and I join many others in saying she died much too young.
Now to Debbie Reynolds....
To me, Debbie Reynolds was every young man's girlfriend.b
I know she was my girlfriend--imaginary, of course.
Oh, sure, Debbie was older than me. But, hell, maybe I liked older women in those days. I guess they call 'em cougars now.
I was talking to one of my sons the other day after we both saw the movie Singin' In the Rain on TV.
It was about the 65th time I'd seen Singin' In the Rain. It was my son's second or third time.
I told him about the strong attraction Debbie Reynolds had on us back in the good old days.
She was pretty, she was cute, she was lively, she was intelligent, she said all the right things, she smiled all the time, she could sing, she could dance, she would always be 18 years of age.
As far as I was concerned, Debbie Reynolds never married singer Eddie Fisher and two other guys after that.
Like I said, she always stayed 18, she always was my 18-year-old girlfriend.
Debbie Reynolds was still a teenager when she virtually stole the show in Singin' In the Rain.
She played the role of Kathy Selden, which called for her to sing and dance alongside the legendary Gene Kelly and the not-so-legendary Donald O'Connor.
Kelly and O'Connor had been dancing professionally for years. Debbie Reynolds could do neither very well.
Debbie would later say that Kelly had little patience with her during the filming.
"My feet were bleeding from all of that dancing, and when I pointed it out, Gene would say, 'Clean it up!'" Debbie was quoted as saying at the time.
Much later, in 2012 at the American Film Institute, she said, "You know, I was so dumb that I didn't feel I could fail. I felt the role in Singin' In the Rain] was me and I marched straight ahead."
March she did, straight into the hearts of America's movie fans.
Debbie Reynolds was in many more movies after that, including
Tammy and the Bachelor, in which she sang her famous Tammy song in 1957.
Tammy rose to No. 1 on the charts that year, and stayed on top for five weeks.
Obviously it was played, and danced to, over and over on Friday and Saturday nights in dance halls throughout America--including Iowa hot spots such as Danceland in Cedar Rapids, the Dance-Mor Ballroom in Swisher, the Legion in Solon and the Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines.
I certainly recall Debbie Reynolds singing Tammy in that era, and it's fun today locating her singing Tammy on YouTube.
Every Tammy fan will recall how the song began:
"All I hear the cottonwoods whisp'rin' above
Tammy...Tammy...Tammy's in love
"The ole hootie owl hootie-hoo's to the dove
Tammy...Tammy...Tammy's in love
"Does my lover feel what I feel
When he comes near?
"My heart beats so joyfully
You'd think that he could hear
"Wish I knew if he knew what I'm dreaming of
"Tammy...Tammy...Tammy's in love...."
Great stuff, huh?
At least when all of us were teenagers.
Well, thanks to outfits likeTurner Classic Movies and YouTube, Debbie Reynolds, her movies and her songs will never be forgotten.
She was one of a kind.
Thanks for the memories, Debbie.