RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Iowa State's President

By RON MALY

My neighbor Al The Health Nut came over on this cold night to have an Italian Dark Roast with me.

Al is pretty good at keeping a conversation lively, and always has a number of current events to discuss. Not much escapes his curiosity, especially after he has read the paper at HyVee.

He usually has one or two smartass comments to make about the paper, but tonight he had other easy targets on his mind.

"It sure looks like the president at Iowa State University is in some hot water over that airplane bullshit," Al said. "Do you think he'll be able to save his job?"

"Al, I've got plenty on my plate right now," l said. "I'm pretty much out out of the loop on presidential stuff, whether it's at Iowa State or anywhere else.

"All I can say is it's a good thing the Iowa State president isn't a football or basketball coach. They seem to be the only guys who get canned at the university level. Whether it's fair or not, the presidents don't get fired, they do the firing."