RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

I'm Tired Of Waiting

By RON MALY

So the Drake men's basketball job has swallowed another coach.

Ray Giacoletti is the latest to show that he's not up to the challenge.

He quit--or was told to quit--after just eight non-conference games and a 1-7 record in his fourth season.

I'm glad Giacoletti finally realized he wasn't getting the job done.

I knew it quite a while ago.

Indeed, I was told that Giacoletti likely wouldn't succeed at Drake before he ever coached a game at the Knapp Center.

We were on a cruise four years ago, to either Alaska or Hawaii, I don't remember which.

Seated at the same dinner table with us one night on the ship were a man and a woman who said they were from Salt Lake City, Utah.

As part of the conversation, I told the guy that Drake, a university I had seen play lots of basketball games since 1959, had a new coach who had earlier been employed at the University of Utah.

"I hope it's not Ray Giacoletti," the guy said.

"It is Ray Giacoletti," I answered.

"Well, good luck," the guy said, "Giacoletti ruined the basketball program at Utah. I don't expect him to do well at Drake."

Giacoletti's records at Utah were 29-6, 14-15 and 11-19.


Actually, Drake would take those records in a heartbeat.


But it wasn't good enough for the folks at Utah.

In that ugly 11-19 season, Utah fans called for his resignation. He obliged, announcing before the final game that he'd quit .

Giacoletti didn't win more games than he lost in his first three seasons at Drake, and he sure wasn't going to win more than he lost in this 2016-2017 season.

I don't know when I've seen worse Drake basketball teams than those coached by Giacoletti.


I'd have to go back to the Rudy Washington or Kurt Kanaskie eras to locate any.

What an embarrassment it is to see these players continue to play poorly and continue to lose at a proud university where Maury John coached the 1968-1969 Drake team to a third-place finish in the NCAA Final Four.

What an embarrassment it is to see this piss-poor coaching at the same university where [who else?] Maury John took three consecutive teams to the NCAA tournament.


How fortunate I was to have been able to witness the brilliant success Maury John and his players had in those seasons.

Actually, I've written this story so many times that I'm tired of it myself.

I've written that--in addition to Maury John--Bob Ortegel, Gary Garner, Tom Davis and his son Keno Davis brought some coaching success to Drake since I've been around here.

I've also written that I told Keno Davis during his only season as the Bulldogs' coach that he'd better enjoy it because stuff like that happens at Drake only every 40 years.

Keno took Drake to the NCAA tournament that season, was named national Coach of the Year, and accepted the Providence job when it was offered.

I didn't blame him.


The Drake coaching job is very difficult. 

However, I don't necessarily subscribe to the thought that the Drake job is the toughest in the Missouri Valley Conference.

No coaching job is easy.

Others have won at Drake, and someone will win there again.


I just hope it's sooner rather than later.


I'm tired of waiting.