RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Ron Gets His Thai Food Fix

By RON MALY

After threatening to break the all-time record for turkey consumption in the past week or so, I switched food gears today.

I went to one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall haunts, the Zuzap Thai restaurant at 12871 University in Clive for lunch.

Thai food is among my favorites. Many people [especially those who haven't  tried it] associate Thai food with spicy food.

Well, you darn  right Thai food can be spicy, and some folks  [me included] like it spicy.

But the waitresses at Zuzap always make sure they ask how spicy on a scale of 1 to 5 you want your food.

In the old days, I'd say 3. Now I say, " No spice,  but bring me the spice tray."

The spice tray enables me to control the amount of spices on my food. I'm afraid some people don't even know a spice tray is available in most Thai restaurants.

Zuzap's best lunch deal costs just $8.95.  For that amount, I got shrimp rangoon as my appetizer, tom ka kai soup [which is made from coconut milk, and mine included tofu],  soy milk for my drink, and my entree was mango delight with tofu and mixed vegetables.

I didn't need to dip into the spice rack much. Just a couple of times.

Rice was included with the mango delight, but I didn't have room for that, so I brought it home. I ate it at about 4 p.m.  It was a nice snack.

 So now I've had my Thai food fix for a day or two.