RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Music To My Ears

By RON MALY

There's a reason I've been thinking a lot about Christmas and writing a lot about Christmas lately.


It's probably my favorite time of the year.

The church services, the spiritual aspect of Christmas, the family get-togethers, all of the kids and grandkids being home, the decorated Christmas trees, the Christmas cookies, the other Christmas foods, the gift-giving....it's something no other holiday can provide.


Then there's the music.


I am absolutely crazy about Christmas music.


I've already written about the Southwestern Community College choir from Creston that sang earlier this month at Mount Olive Lutheran Church, and the brilliant Mannheim Steamroller Christmas show at the Civic Center in downtown Des Moines.


Those groups provided Christmas hymns and songs that have stood the test of time.

They've been around since I was a kid, and they were around when a lot of people much older than me were kids.


Also, I was thinking the other day about my early years at the paper, when I was working the late shift on the sports copy desk.

We'd get off at 11 p.m. on Christmas Eve. The no-frills 1961 Chevy Biscayne car was packed, and we loaded the three kids into the the car for the 2-hour drive to Cedar Rapids for Christmas at the grandparents' homes at 637 18th Avenue SW and 411 Fifth Avenue SW.

For the entire 2 hours, Crosby and others were on the car radio singing Christmas music.

What a way that was to travel the night before Christmas

Yes, Christmas music is unbeatable.


I've had the pleasure of listening to 2 and 3 consecutive hours of Christmas music the past few weeks, and I'm listening to O Little Town Of Bethlehem by Bing Crosby as I write this.


My entire home is flooded with Christmas music most of the day and night, thanks to my son Mark, an airplane pilot who is also an electronic genius [I call him a genius, he doesn't], who installed speakers throughout the house that are wired to the keyboard in the dining room.


I control everything with my iPad while lounging in my lazy-boy.

I control which hymns and songs to which we listen, and I control the volume.


I turn up the volume a lot.

I'm generally an upbeat, optimistic guy [probably more naughty than nice]. But, like everyone else, I can have a day when I don't feel the greatest. However, just listening to the Christmas music has a marvelous effect on me.

It lifts me higher than I've been lifted all day.


It's unbelievable what music such as Joy To the World, Silent Night, The First Noel, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Away In a Manger, Deck the Halls, Joy To the World and O Come All Ye Faithful can do for me.

I like listening to one vocalist, one choir after another--people like Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Perry Como, the Norman Luboff choir, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, the Mormon Tabernacle choir, Karen Carpenter, even Dean Martin and plenty of others.

Well, actually, Karen Carpenter could sing to me on a 7/24 basis, every minute of the day, but don't tell Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra about it.

I still can't believe she died at 32 and has been gone for 33 years. I miss Karen a lot. I'm glad her music is still around. 

I'll get off of these computer keys for a while. Sinatra is singing I'll Be Home for Christmas, and I want to listen to it.

I'm glad I'll be home for Christmas.