RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Fake News

By RON MALY

It's very difficult keeping up with what's going on in this fast-moving world of ours, especially now that fake news is screwing up things.

I guess fake news has become such an epidemic worldwide that you can't believe anything you see on TV or read in newspapers and the Internet or on social media.

And heavens to the memory of Frank Eyerly, Parker Mize and Leighton Housh, you can't even believe what's printed anymore on the front page and the sports pages of the Des Moines paper.

I mean, a headline yesterday on page 1 claimed that Iowa's the Hawkeyes' basketball team was "locked and loaded for Big Ten play."

Talk about fake news.

I guess being "locked and loaded" means getting walloped by 22 points at Purdue.

I guess the headline on the front of the sports section saying Iowa's players had "found their defensive groove" meant Purdue would make 3-point baskets all night.

Now people are asking me what the heck I think is wrong with the Hawkeyes.

I'm letting our boys off easy. After all, I'm into the holiday spirit bigtime.

I'm telling those critics that the Hawkeyes really didn't have a game last night in West Lafayette, Ind., and really didn't get run out of the Purdue gym.

I'm calling it fake news.