RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Some Like It Hot

By RON MALY

I've met my match when it comes to handling Thai food.

Indeed, I know a guy who likes his Thai cuisine even hotter than I like it.

You might recall I recently mentioned that I'm a frequent visitor to the Thai restaurant Zuzap in Clive.

I made a return visit a while back, and mentioned how much I liked the food there.

Barry Crist of West Des Moines read what I wrote, and put this message on Facebook:

"I spent a year in Thailand and love Thai food. I frequent a few other Thai spots in town, but did not know about this one.  I will try it out."

I owed Barry a lunch, so he joined me at Zuzap one day last week.

Thai food can be spicy, but it's not all spicy.

The waitresses at Zuzap and other Thai restaurants around the metro area ask diners how spicy they want the food on a scale ranging from 0 to 5.

I used to do a 3, but now I do a zero and ask for the spice tray. That way, I can control the amount of spice I have.

Barry Crist answered the bell in a bigtime way.

He picked 4 for his spice level.

Hey, listen, I know that's spicy.

But Barry handled it with ease.

He's a pro.