RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hey, I'm thinking Kirk Ferentz and his Hawkeyes better watch it or people are going to start thinking [again] that this Iowa football team just might win the West Division title in the Big Ten football race. I stayed home today to watch the Hawkeyes and a number of other collegiate teams play on the tube, and every time I looked up from my iPad [on which I was reading some stuff during the game], Iowa was scoring another first-quarter, then second-quarter touchdown. The Hawkeyes played offense and defense the way I haven't seen 'em play for I don't know how long. Maybe back to when Hayden Fry's teams were skunking teams like Northwestern and Illinois in the previous century. Back to when I was getting paid to write newspaper stories about them. Iowa scored 24 points in the first quarter, 14 in the second quarter. That meant a 38-7 halftime lead over a Northwestern team that I thought was supposed to be pretty fair. The Hawkeyes eventually won, 48-7. Iowa blocked a punt for a touchdown and Jake Rudock threw a pass off the old fleaflicker maneuver for a 42-yard touchdown. It was that kind of day for the Hawkeyes. I'll admit I didn't watch much of the last half. I can see why people get turned-off by runaways.. This was a classic runaway. A rout. A massacre. Now Iowa has a 3-1 record into the Big Ten heading into a game Saturday at Minnesota, which also is 3-1 in the league. The Hawkeyes piled up 483 yards to Northwestern's 180. The turning point for the Wildcats wasn't when they stepped off the bus outside Kinnick Stadium this morning. It was when they left Evanston, Ill., yesterday. Northwestern was awful. I don't pay as much attention to names as I used to, but Iowa had a guy named Akrum Wadley who ran for 106 yards. I'd never heard of him. But I'm glad he decided to play for Ferentz. Rudock is the Iowa quarterback whom Iowa fans seem to criticize a lot, but he passed for 239 yards today. I doubt many people are critical of him now. I probably shouldn't be writing stuff like this, but I came away from the tube today thinking Iowa looks good enough to win the rest of its regular-season games. Remaining are road games at Minnesota and Illinois, then home games against Wisconsin and Nebraska. At least the Hawkeyes don't have to play Maryland again.

Akrum Wadley