RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Blake Boldon Named Director Of Drake Relays

By RON MALY

Blake Boldon today was named the 12th director of the Drake Relays. 

I don't know Boldon and I know next to nothing about track and field. 

I mean,  I was never any good at either track or field. 

Not as a young guy, not as a not-so-young guy. 

And I have no idea yet how the folks who follow the Drake Relays feel about Boldon. 

But pie-and-coffee day is less than 24 hours away, and I'll be in the company of some people then who are either associated with Drake or pay a lot of attention to the Drake Relays. 

So they'll give me all the information and opinions I need regarding Boldon. 

The guy is a native Iowan [from Osceola] and is leaving a job as executive director of the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon to come to Drake. 

And Ty Patton at Drake writes in a press release he emailed to me that Boldon "has an extensive background and record of success as a competitive athlete, collegiate coach and event director." 

Sounds good to me. 

The Drake Relays is pretty big stuff in the collegiate athletic world and it's certainly important at Drake, so I'm hoping Boldon is the right person for the job.