RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Gouged At the Grlocery Store

By RON MALY

I was talking to a guy I know.

I'll call him Frank because that's his name.



Frank had just gone grocery shopping with his wife Edna, and wasn't in a good mood.

Edna wasn't exactly feeling like doing cartwheels down Ashworth Road either.

"What's the problem?" I asked.

 "HyVee is my problem," Frank said.  "We buy most of our groceries at Fareway, and usually go to HyVee only for a couple of reasons--to try the free food samples they give away in the meat department and to buy some bread we like."

"What kind of bread?" I asked. 

"Well, it's a dark bread [pictured] filled with 
raisins and walnuts," Frank said. "It's made in the HyVee bakery. Edna and I think it's healthy, and we try to eat a slice or two every day to keep us regular, if you know what I mean."





"I know what you mean, Frank," I said. "Sounds good to me.  So give me some details on your trouble with HyVee."

"Well," Frank explained, " I went to the  bakery at the HyVee on Valley West Drive [35th Street] in West Des Moines this morning, and noticed that they were giving customers 6 cents off their gas price if they bought a loaf of certain breads. I've been paying $2.98 a loaf for the bread, and the 6 cents off on the gas for the old Subaru hatchback would make it a tremendous deal."

I agreed.

"The trouble was, when I checked my receipt I saw that they charged me $5.99 for the loaf of raisin-and-walnut bread,"  Frank said.  "I was pissed. So I went to the customer service desk and said I'd been over-charged by $3.01."

"That's quite a price hike, Frank," I said. "Did they give you a refund?"

"No. The lady at the customer service desk showed me that the price on the bread was correct at  $5.99," Frank said.  "So I went

back to the bakery to see why the bread cost $5.99 instead of $2.98. The sales guy said $5.99 was the new price. He didn't know, or didn't want me to know, why the price shot up so high. Last week the bread cost $2.98."

I told Frank I had never heard of a price hike like that on bread or anything else.

"I'm planning to write a letter to the HyVee manager," Frank said.

I hope he does. 

Frank and Edna were gouged and deserve better.

I didn't ask, but I'll bet they didn't get a smile in every aisle either.

As far as I'm concerned, Frank and Edna can sign my name to that letter, too.