RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Folding the Circus Tent



By RON MALY

The circus has folded its tent.
Permanently.
After 146 years, the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus has performed its final show.

In the last act, according to the AP, the circus received a standing ovation tonight in Uniondale, N.Y.

So the Greatest Show on Earth ain't so great anymore.
I'll be honest. I always liked going to a circus.
Like everyone else, I guess, I haven't gone to nearly as many circuses in my adult years as I did when I was a kid.
Attendance has been in a steady decline at circuses in the U.S., and not just because animal rights groups have targeted them for considerable blame in recent years.
People nationwide have found other forms of entertainment. And don't think it's the movies that hurt the circus. Attendance at movie theaters isn't all that hot either.
We even went to the circus in Russia while visiting there a number of years ago.
We heard that tickets were available for a performance by the Moscow Circus, so we went.
It was a good show. No complaints from me.
I checked to see tonight if the Moscow Circus is still in operation, and here's the deal:
It was supposed to open last week, but government safety inspectors have suspended the circus over concerns about the structural strength of the big top.
Count on it I won't be going to the Moscow Circus again until they get that big top thing figured out.
I mean, the last thing I want to do is fold my tent in Russia.