RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, May 25, 2017


By RON MALY

I get into some interesting discussions with my podiatrist when I visit his office every 3 months.
Politics, other doctors, taxes, sports....you name it, Stan [not his real name] and I talk about it.
"What do you think of Trump?" Stan asked me this week.

"I try to not think about him," I answered. "You know me, I dislike most presidents. I don't think I've liked any of 'em since Harry Truman."
In the event you skipped school the day your history teacher talked about Harry Truman, he was our president from April 12, 1945 until Jan. 20, 1953.
Good ol' Harry is pictured holding up the front page of the Nov. 3, 1948 Chicago Tribune that said he lost the presidential election to Thomas Dewey, furthering the widespread belief that you can't always believe what's in the paper.
No wonder one of Truman's nicknames was "Give 'Em Hell, Harry."
One final thing. I won't be in Cedar Rapids next Thursday when Trump is there. He'll have to get along without me in my hometown.
I've got more interesting and important things to do--like taking the Miata in for an oil change and getting a couple of cheese enchiladas for lunch at a Mexican restaurant.
As for Stan the podiatrist, he didn't say if he's going to Cedar Rapids or not.
If he goes, I've given him orders to get me a dozen kolaches from Sykora's on The Avenue--6 poppyseed, 2 apricot, 2 cherry and 2 peach.