RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Horrible

By RON MALY

What a horrible situation that was, and still is, in Manchester, England.
As much as I would like to say it's unbelievable that it happened, I know better because awful things like that have been taking place far too many times in far too many places in recent years.
Twenty-two people [many of them young people, one as young as 8] were killed and 60 or so were injured last night when a suicide bomber detonated explosives just as an Ariana Grande concert was ending at Manchester Arena.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack. Now reports from news sources of "haphazard" security screening are surfacing.
Indeed, one report said there was virtually no screening as people entered the arena.
I don't attend such concerts, so I don't know if there's much, if any, screening that takes place at musical events in the U.S.
I do know that screening takes place at collegiate football stadiums in this country, and I know that people were screened at the State High School boys basketball tournament at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines earlier this year.
A security guy person asked me what was protruding from the right front pocket in my blue jeans as I entered the basketball arena [it was a hair brush, but I'm glad he asked], and I've seen people screened when they enter Kinnick Stadium at Iowa City.
I have experienced no screening at high school football games in Des Moines and its suburbs.
I fully realize that a lot of us [me included] sometimes grow impatient when we are carefully screened at airports, but maybe that's the type of security that should take place at athletic events and stage plays in the U.S.
If such screening saves one life, it's worthwhile.
This is how I feel now. Sorry to say, in the wake of what is taking place worldwide, I am very reluctant to enter an arena where a basketball game or a stage play are being held.
Until improved screening takes place at venues where large numbers of people will be, I also am very reluctant to have members of my family attend such events.
Of course, the kids and grandkids won't listen to me on this.
They think nothing will ever happen to them.
But that's what those young folks thought when they entered Manchester Arena last night.
It's a sad state of affairs, and I don't know what the future holds.