RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Kathy and Dave Wessel Die 2 Months Apart


By RON MALY
I was saddened to learn of the death of 81-year-old Dave Wessel, a longtime Iowa high school basketball coach whose West Davenport teams won state championships in 1971 and 1994.

Wessel's coaching career began at West Branch High School, and he wound up winning more than 400 games throughout his career.

My memories of Dave go back a long way.

He and I grew up in Cedar Rapids, and one of the first times we visited was when his family and mine vacationed during the same week one summer in Delhi, IA, when both of us were kids.
My parents and his didn't plan the vacation that way. It just happened.
Dave [who is pictured] and I attended different high schools on the west side of Cedar Rapids. He was a standout football and basketball player at Roosevelt; I did the best I could at a couple of sports at Wilson.
Let's put it this way. I was a quick learner. I knew very early that my future in athletics was not as a collegiate player or coach.
After graduating from Roosevelt, Wessel received a football scholarship from Drake University, then transferred after one year to Coe College in Cedar Rapids [where he was a standout in football].
The last time I visited with Dave and his wife, Kathy, were at my wife's Roosevelt reunion three years ago in Cedar Rapids. Kathy died this past March, Dave died Friday of leukemia.
Both Kathy and Dave were wonderful people. The world is better because of them.