RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Way I See It


By RON MALY


I watch a lot of stuff on public television, especially on weekends.
I won't get artsy on you and write that it's just Downton Abbey and documentaries like The Roosevelts, The Civil War and The National Parks produced by Ken Burns in which I'm interested.
I watch those things, too. But what I'm writing about today are more low-key programs like Iowa Ingredient, The Joy of Painting and the woodworking and fix-it shows dealing with things I know absolutely nothing about.

I received a nice paycheck from Iowa Public TV a number of years ago for a weekly sports show I did, but I'm not writing about that today either.
That's an essay for another day.
I'll concern myself with just Iowa Ingredient and The Joy of Painting today.
They differ about as much as any two programs can.
The Joy of Painting is shown at 6 a.m. on Saturdays, Iowa Ingredient is shown at 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays.
Sometimes I'm awake and alert enough to watch both shows.
Iowa Ingredient, a show on which Iowan Charity Nebbe [pictured] appears and does a wonderful job, deals with foods produced in Iowa.
The 42-year-old Nebbe began her career in public radio at WOI in Ames when she was a student at Iowa State.
She continues to do work for Iowa Public Radio. I don't hear her on that, but if she's as smooth on the radio as she is on TV, it's very pleasant listening. Nebbe is a pro at whatever she does.
Nor only does Nebbe appear on the scene when the filming of Iowa Ingredient is done in various parts of the state, she hosts and participates in the cooking of those foods [along with cooks] on segments of each show. Nebbe is a vegetarian.
The Bob Ross painting show at the ridiculous time of 6 o'clock in the morning on Saturdays is totally different.
For one thing, Ross has been dead for 22 years.
Wherever he is now, I'll bet he'd get a charge out of finding out that his painting shows are still appearing on Iowa Public TV.
The Joy of Painting originally appeared on public TV from 1983 through 1994. On each show, Ross paints a scenic picture on canvas, and keeps up a steady flow of conversation while doing it.
He talks about painting things like a happy little tree, a happy little creek and a happy little cloud. He signs off most shows by saying, "Happy painting and God bless."
As far as Bob Ross is concerned, there is nothing sad about life--or painting. Everything is happy.
That can't be all bad. I guess that's why his shows are still on TV 22 years after his death.
Not even Jim Zabel can say that.