RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

2016 Cubs Made the 108-Year Wait Worthwhile

By RON MALY

I don't mind telling you I'm happy as hell that this thing is finally over.

The Chicago Cubs' 108-year wait between World Series championships, I mean.

Yes, sir, the Cubs finally did it.

They won a World Series for the first time in my lifetime.

The seized the final three games of the 2016 World Series over Cleveland, and can now call themselves world champs.

Finally.

Tonight's score was 8-7 in 10 innings at Cleveland in maybe the goofiest, craziest, strangest game since Abner Doubleday invented baseball.

Now for some personal stuff.

It starts in 1945 when the Cubs lost the World Series to the Detroit Tigers.

There was no TV in those days, of course.

I was an elementary school kid then.

The games were all in the afternoon, so I'd hurry home from Lincoln School in Cedar Rapids and listen to the final few innings of the games on our radio.

Lots of misery followed.

Not just the lack of a World Series in which to play.  

The lack of success during the regular season.

Any regular season.

I saw my first Cubs game in person in 1948 when Jack Stone's dad, Cliff, drove us to Chicago for a game against St. Louis.

I'm pretty sure the Cubs lost.

More misery after that, too.

In my teen-age years, my mother kept asking me what in the world I was trying to listen to on the radio in our living room.


All we could get in those days were broadcasts on Chicago's WGN-radio. 

Lots of static on 18th Avenue Southwest in Cedar Rapids.

As I recall, the Cubs lost most of those games, too.

Lean times to be sure.

Eventually, the kid grew into an adult 

I sat in the press box at Wrigley Field many times in my more than 40 years as a sportswriter.

I saw more Cub losses than victories.
Sure, I ate the free hot dogs and drank the free Old Style in the press box.

Somehow the dogs and suds seemed to make it easier to digest the losses.

No World Series games for the Cubs in those years, of course.

A number of regular-season games, but no World Series games [until 2016] in my retirement years.

That's why I feel so good now.

Thanks, Cubs.

You made the waiting worthwhile.