RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Good Eats In Balltown

By RON MALY

Sometimes I attend church on Saturday evenings, sometimes on Sunday mornings.

I happened to be there on Sunday this past weekend, and ran into a longtime friend.

I call him Herschel because--as he points out--that's what his parents named him.

On Sundays, Herschel and I try to get together over coffee provided by the church before Bible class starts so we can discuss the most important happenings of the weekend--stuff like his White Sox and my Cubs in the summer and the Hawkeyes and Cyclones in the fall and winter.

Obviously, we had a lot to talk about a few mornings ago, what with the Cubs winning their first World Series  in 108 years and the Hawkeyes and Cyclones experiencing mounting frustrations on the football field.

Herschel also mentioned that he had sent me an email a while back about Balltown, the Iowa community I wrote about many years ago for the paper and a couple of months ago for this website.

Somehow I missed Hershcel's email.

I was probably busy talking to another very good friend of mine about the Amphicar, a vehicle manufactured in the 1960s that was both a car and a boat, and listening to folks named Frank and Edna bitching about how their favorite loaf of bread skyrocketed from $2.99 to $5.98 overnight at HyVee.

I enjoyed writing columns about both the Amphicar and the bread, so now I'll get to the email Herschel sent me about Balltown. Here it is:

"Hi, Ron,

"I still occasionally check your blog and I just read the thing you wrote about Balltown.  I have been there several times along with family, most recently last year.  

"We enjoy eating at Breitbach's [pictured].  They usually have a great buffet.  It is a very popular restaurant and people come from 60 or 70 miles or more to eat there.  It is especially busy in the fall when people come to see the colorful leaves.  


"Right at the west edge of town is a scenic overlook along the highway offering great views of the valley and lowlands below, which are dotted with farm places.  You can also see the Mississippi River several miles in the distance.  The view is quite spectacular this time of the year, so the restaurant is also very busy, especially on weekends.  Tour buses often stop there too for a meal. 

"As you wrote, Breitbach's was considered the oldest restaurant in Iowa.  Unfortunately, you may remember, they had a disastrous fire about 8 or 9 years ago.  They rebuilt, but then it burned again shortly after.  They rebuilt it again and that is now the current building. 

"There always was a full-sized ballfield right behind the restaurant, but I'm not sure if it is still there.  Back in the '50s and '60s, Lowden had a very competitive independent baseball team made up of farmers, businessmen, and whoever else lived in the area that had baseball talent.  In those days they would draw 2,500 people to the games at the field in Lowden.  


"They would also travel to other towns, mostly in northeast Iowa, and they played games in Balltown.  I think they had their own team.  The Lowden team even went to some towns in southeastern Wisconsin, Potosi was one of them, I believe.


Herschel

"Good to visit with you last Sunday."