RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Night To End All Nights



By RON MALY


What a night.

I show up for my first Hawkeye game in a while, do the 5-mile tailgate tour with my kids and grandkids, sit comfortably for nearly 4 hours in a stadium absolutely electric with excitement, and witness the university's biggest football upset since I can't remember when.

As has happened so often in the past, all hell breaks loose when I arrive on the scene.

I mean, I didn't get the nickname The Lightning Rod by accident.

You may recall that I started writing about this late last week.

I mentioned that the kids, who evidently think I don't get out enough, all but demanded that I attend the game matching an Iowa team that virtually everyone had given up for dead against a Michigan team that was unbeaten and ranked No. 2 in the nation.

I wrote that I'd try to match the trip up with an adventure I'd had many years ago as a kid who had just turned 13.

I spent a week in the old Children's Hospital at Iowa City, wrapping up a 44-day stay in two hospitals in two cities.

While in Children's Hospital, doctors had arranged for a wonderful nurse to accompany me to the Iowa-Wisconsin football game--my first Hawkeye game ever.

The university is now ready to open a new $360 million, 14-story Children's Hospital, one of the features of which will allow young patients to watch Hawkeye football games from the top floor in the stadium.

I got a number of great looks at the new hospital last night, and I'm giving rave reviews to university officials for the idea.

Little did I know when writing last week's column that the Hawkeyes would pull off a semi-miraculous 14-13 victory over Michigan in the football game.

Like I said, I accompanied Kevin, Donna and Megan on the 5-mile pregame tailgate tour throughout the Iowa campus.

My tailgating menu consisted of one Blue Moon from Kevin and two cookies and a handful of potato chips from Jo and Rick's tent.

We saw and visited with people we knew, people we didn't know and people we might want to know while making the tour.

Everyone was cordial, just the way Hawkeye fans are every Saturday, win or lose.

I fully expected the tailgating and the inspection of the new Children's Hospital building to be the highlights of the night.

Little did I know that Kirk Ferentz would inspire his Hawkeyes, who had lost their previous three home games and had a 5-4 record, to rise up and bring down a Michigan team that had been flexing its muscles all season.

The Wolverines were favored by more than three touchdowns.

Still, the tailgaters I talked with thought Iowa could win.

I didn't.

From my sportswriting years, I knew fans were fans.

They always thought their team could win, even in Frank Lauterbur's disastrous 0-11 season in 1973.

I always dealt with reality when it came to which team was going to win and which team was going to lose.

But what Iowa's victory last night, secured 
when freshman placekicker Keith Duncan--a kid without a football scholarship--booted a 33-yard field goal as time expired, did was chalk up another one for the Iowas of the football world.

I mean, the massive upset came on the same Kinnick Stadium field as when Hayden Fry's 1985 team [then ranked No. 1 nationally] defeated a No. 2-ranked Michigan team coached by Bo Schembechler.

That victory, too, was produced with a last-second field goal. That one a 29-yarder by Rob Houghtlin.

I wrote the game story on that one for the 
paper, and the entire week and night 31 years ago was a highlight of my nearly 40 years at the place.

Strange but true: The Michigan quarterback in 
that 1985 game was Jim Harbaugh, who now is the Wolverines' coach.

A good thing as far as I was concerned about last night's victory was that I didn't have sweat my ass off writing a game story about a historic No. 1 vs. No. 2 game while battling a difficult deadline situation.

All Kevin, Donna, Megan and I did when last night's game finished was watch as thousands of joyous Hawkeye fans stormed the field to celebrate.

Thanks to Kevin for taking the pictures.

Our celebration on the ride home, which
ended at nearly 1 a.m. today, was a dozen doughnuts from a 24-hour place in Coralville.

Man, how times change.

What a beautiful night.

Now the Hawkeyes are even bowl-eligible.

I enjoyed writing this, and thanks for reading it.