RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Be Glad You're Not An Illinois Fan

By RON MALY

It's difficult for me to believe there are many worse major-college football teams in America than Illinois.

It could be there are two or three teams that are more inept than the Fighting Illini, but at
the moment I can't think of them.

It looked to me like Illinois' offense, defense, special teams, kicking and coaching were all on life support in today's 28-0 loss to the Hawkeyes.

Of course, I certainly am not overlooking the thought that Iowa's players and coaches were at least somewhat responsible for the awful display of football by the Fighting Illini.

However, it stunned me that first-year Illinois coach Lovie Smith was without emotion on the sideline, and so were most of his players on the field.

I'm a bit surprised Smith, who looked like he preferred to be anywhere other than a football stadium on a cold and windy morning and afternoon, worked up enough motivation to meet Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz at midfield for the postgame handshake.

I feel sorry for fans of the Fighting Illini.

Be glad you're not one of them.