RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Feel-Good Column

The new Children's Hospital at the University of Iowa. Kinnick Stadium is at the right.  Photo courtesy of the University of Iowa


By RON MALY

Some of this is personal, some of it isn't.

I'll start by writing that I heard something very interesting while watching a Hawkeye football game on TV a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the network was. It could've been ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, the Big Ten...any of 'em.

I didn't watch all of the game, but I'm glad I saw some of it.

One of the announcers mentioned that the new $360 million, 14-floor Children's Hospital at the University of Iowa in Iowa City would soon be opening, and that there would be a very special top floor.

He said the floor would be named the Press Box, and from there kids hospitalized in the building would be able to watch the Hawkeyes play football in nearby Kinnick Stadium.

What a wonderful deal, I thought.

What a wonderful idea.

I'm glad it's happening.

I know the kids will enjoy the games.

Now for the personal stuff.

I spent a week in Children's Hospital at Iowa City a long time ago.

Not the present Children's Hospital, of course.

The former Children's Hospital.

I had just turned 13. 

I had already spent 37 days at St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids.

The 44 consecutive days in two hospitals in two cities caused me to miss much of one semester of eighth grade at Wilson School in Cedar Rapids.

Children's Hospital in Iowa City in those days wasn't close to the football stadium.

But I got to see a Hawkeye game nonetheless.

Inside the stadium.

It was my first Hawkeye game ever.

My doctors somehow obtained a couple of tickets to the Iowa-Wisconsin game.

They arranged to have a very nice nurse take me to the game. 

It was a cool day in late-October, and she sat with me the entire four quarters.

The Hawkeyes made it a perfect afternoon by beating Wisconsin, 19-13.

I was just a kid then and probably didn't thank the doctors and that wonderful nurse enough after they made arrangements to get me into the stadium for my first Hawkeye game.

There would be many, many other Hawkeye games, of course, that would follow in my sportswriting years.

I don't know if those doctors and that very special nurse are still around, but I'd like to thank them again for making that game when I was 13 one of best things ever to happen to me.

By the way, my kids think I should go to Iowa City with them Saturday night so I can see not only the Iowa-Michigan game, but the new Children's Hospital, too.

I think I will.