RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Doug McDermott says he's confident he's got what it takes to be a first-round pick in the NBA draft. He'll wait until 2014 to find out for sure. The two-time first-team all-American said today he'll return to Creighton for his senior year instead of declaring for June's NBA draft. ESPN.com said McDermott made the announcement at a news conference in Creighton's practice gym. He was joined by his father, Bluejays coach Greg McDermott, and mom, Theresa, in addition to teammates, administrators and boosters. McDermott said he went back and forth with his decision before it hit him Wednesday afternoon. He was meeting with his dad to talk about his pro prospects when he abruptly stopped the conversation. "Finally, I just said, 'You know what, I'm coming back,'" McDermott said. "I've had enough of this. I'm ready to make this decision. This is where my heart is. The NBA can wait. I feel like I can play there someday, but this is an opportunity I can't pass up." Greg McDermott said he and his wife were proud of how their son arrived at his decision. "At the end, he felt it best to stay," Greg McDermott said. "He needed to follow his heart and do what he needed to do, and once he makes his decision to not look back and just move forward." Selfishly for the coach and the Bluejays, it sure helps to have McDermott back. "Obviously, it's 23 points and eight rebounds a game," the coach said. ESPN's Chad Ford ranks him No. 48 in his list of top 100 prospects. Sunday is the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft. The 6-foot-8, 225-pound McDermott said he can use another year of college to prepare physically and mentally for pro ball. He was the second-leading scorer in Division I last season, averaging 23.2 points. He led the Bluejays to a sweep of the Missouri Valley regular-season and tournament titles in their last year in the conference. They'll move to the Big East next season. Why did he pass up possible first-round money? "Just being a college kid another year and playing with my best friends and joining the Big East," he said. "It couldn't get much better. I went with my heart, my gut. Whenever I've done that in the past, it's always worked out. I'm confident this is the best decision."