RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz doesn't permit his players to be on Twitter, but he is, indeed, living in the 21st century. So says his son, Brian, who is the Hawkeyes' offensive line coach. Brian, who is in his second year on his dad's coaching staff, said Kirk has an i-Phone and an iPad. That's how modern the boss is. Anyway, here's what Brian said, courtesy of the transcript of his comments that was sent to me by Iowa sports information director Steve Roe today when Brian was asked at a press conference about things like Twitter and other modern technology: "Well, I would say we have been in the 21st century since Y2K. I bristle a little bit at the notion and I don't it's not personal. But I do bristle at the notion that we are archaic or that our head coach is I want to make sure I pronounce this right is it Luddite (ph)? Is that the correct pronunciation? Because he's not. He's got an iPhone and he's got an iPad. Twitter, that's a personal decision everybody makes. Coach [Reese] Morgan is not on Twitter; I am. I think that's unique to every person. I really think if you saw our head coach on Twitter or doing those kinds of things, those aren't in his personality. That's not natural to him. Alternate uniforms, that's not really in his personality, either; I've seen his closet. And I can say that because I'm his son. But in some I think what we learn is those things have no bearing on winning and losing, what you wear, what you don't wear. The notion that I have been responsible: The alternate uniforms have been worn here before, those were in the works. You can't get that done overnight. Those were in the works way before I got here. The Twitter, Coach Johnson was on Twitter well before I got here. I think what we worry about here, what all of us worry about every day is just get a little bit better each day. Sometimes that takes on a social media I think we are learning, like the rest of the country, I do think we are not unique in this; the world is changing faster than we can even keep up with it. I know how to use Twitter and I just recently learned about Vine and I didn't even know about that was in two weeks ago. You won't see me on there anytime soon. Instagram, if somebody can give me a crash course I'm still trying to figure out. You can Tweet a picture, correct, can we all agree with that? So why do you need Instagram? Maybe I'm my father's son sometimes. It's changing so fast that we are trying to stay out there with it, but shoot, it's hard, we can barely keep up with our players sometimes."

Brian Ferentz