RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

There was a strange--and somewhat confusing--story in the paper the other day. It said, "One week after undergoing heart surgery, [former Iowa State football coach Dan McCarney] was back in the office Friday, talking to North Texas State football players he now coaches." The story said nothing about what type of "heart surgery" the 59-year-old McCarney underwent. Yet, ESPN.com wrote that McCarney "underwent heart bypass surgery....McCarney acknowledged in a statement that he had a medical procedure but wasn't specific. He returned to the office a week after the surgery. Doctors recommended McCarney undergo the surgery following a routine office visit earlier in the week." I find it hard to believe McCarney was in his football office a week after undergoing bypass surgery. I know a lot about bypass surgery because it will have been 27 years ago next Thursday that I had it done in Kansas City on a emergency basis. I was originally hospitalized so a world-famous cardiologist could do multi-vessel angioplasty on me. When problems developed on the operating table, another cardiologist who was in the lab performed quadruple bypass surgery on me. In those days, it was recommended that people remain in the hospital for six weeks after bypass surgery. I talked my doctors into letting me go home after five weeks because I was eager to return home and to work. Now, returning home seems like a much better idea than returning to work. Anyway, I find it hard to believe anyone could return to work after having his breastbone broken by cardiologists so bypass surgery could be performed. Angioplasty is a much different story. That involves having a catheter threaded through the groin and into the heart to repair a blocked artery. That type of procedure [I hesitate to call it surgery] is performed routinely these days, and would certainly permit a person to return to work in a week. Until I hear more about McCarney's situation, I'll withhold judgement on what exactly happened to him. The ESPN story also said McCarney's heart problem was unrelated to the stroke he had earlier in his career at North Texas State. I find that hard to believe, too. Blocked coronary arteries are indeed related to strokes, which also involve blocked arteries. ESPN said that in the past 50 years only Rod Rust [1967-1968] has won more games in his first two seasons at North Texas State than McCarney. Rust is a native of Cedar Rapids who played football for Iowa State. McCarney is a native of Iowa City who played football for Iowa, and was an assistant coach for the Hawkeyes and Wisconsin.

Dan McCarney