RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I have a few more comments about the workout Iowa's football team had Sunday at Valley High School in West Des Moines. All in all, it was a good show by the Hawkeyes. I don't know if the fans who showed up to watch it knew that it was going to be just a practice, not a game, but I think most of them left happy. Indeed, none of them could beat the price. All of 'em got in free. Now about the crowd. Folks from Valley estimated there were 8,000 people at the practice. If so, they must have been counting the players, folks like me in the press corps who watched the workout from the east sideline, the people working in the concession stands and the game officials. Valley Stadium is supposed to hold 8,000 fans, but there were empty seats in both the west and east grandstands. There could, and should, have been more. And it certainly wasn't the Iowa football team's fault. I'd heard that 15,000 tickets had been distributed in central Iowa and in Iowa City. If so, there were a lot of no-shows. And I think I know the reason. There were continuous warnings on TV and in the paper that parking would be a problem. Because of that, I know a lot of people who decided to stay home. "Why drive over there and risk not finding a place to park?" a guy asked me. Why the paper and TV kept saying there'd be a parking problem, I don't know. Hell, the Valley-Dowling game that's played in the stadium every other season [when Valley is the home team] always draws 10,000 to 12,000, and no one seems to complain about the parking. Before Sunday's practice, there even were warnings in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City throughout the week that parking would be a problem. It wasn't. The only problems were TV and the newspapers.

Empty seats in west grandstand at Valley Stadium.