RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I've Got It All Figured Out for You


By RON MALY

After vowing to myself that I wouldn't write anything else about the NCAA basketball tournament after my favorite teams--the Hawkeyes, Cyclones, Wichita State and Dayton--were eliminated, I weakened. I watched the first half of today's Michigan State loss to Connecticut and most of Michigan's loss to Kentucky. During the afternoon, I also worked in a baseball game my grandson played on the Valley High School field. The kid played well, and so did his team. Frankly, I considered it a significant victory that I was able to sit in the sun and wind on a Sunday afternoon in March in this state and watch my grandson play baseball.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Getting back to basketball,  after seeing the  teams that'll be playing in the Final Four, I have made my decisions on how the rest of the tournament will go. In the semifinal round, Kentucky will rally in the last 5 minutes to beat Wisconsin, 72-68, and Florida will lead all the way en route to an 85-70 clobbering of Connecticut. Wisconsin's loss to Kentucky will, of course, mean that there are no Big Ten teams remaining in the tournament, and people in the midwest can go back to doing what they do best at this time of year--wondering how things are going in spring football practice. Florida will play Kentucky for the basketball championship, and the Gators will prevail, 78-73. That's a game I may or may not watch. I mean, if there's a good movie on TCM, I may skip the game. I've skipped plenty of Florida-Kentucky games in past seasons. But the fact that Florida is going to beat Kentucky for all of the marbles next week will make me very happy because I always want John Calipari, the Wildcats' coach, to lose. I've never cared much for the guy.