RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Now that Iowa State has been eliminated, I'm running out of teams that I care about in the NCAA basketball tournament. 'Who do you want to win now?' a friend asked me in an email. 'I'm jumping on the Dayton bandwagon,' I answered. 'Why Dayton?' the friend asked. 'Because Dayton fits the profile I've always looked for,' I explained. 'Dayton is a No. 11 seed and is the underdog every time it has a game, the university's business school might have an auto mechanics program in which students can take courses in welding so they can someday do their own body-work; the cheerleaders have pimples on their faces, and the coach has a shoe contract with Chuck Taylor canvas high-tops.' The friend asked what I plan to do if Dayton loses tonight's Elite Eight game to super-power Florida, which hasn't lost a game since early-December. 'I probably won't watch any more of the tournament,' I answered. 'I don't care much for the Kentuckys, Michigans, Michigan States and Arizonas of the basketball world. 'The Cubs' season starts Monday, so I'll spend the rest of the weekend finding out who's on the team this season.'