RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Well, there's no need for John Wooden to roll over in his grave. And the family of the Wizard Of Westwood doesn't need to worry about Steve Alford or anyone else tarnishing Wooden's basketball coaching image this season, this decade or probably not even this century. Alford, who was run out of Iowa City after a very ordinary coaching era with the Hawkeyes, bowed out of the NCAA tournament last night with his first UCLA team. No one was mentioning Alford's name in the same breath as Wooden [who won seven consecutive NCAA championships and 10 in a 12-season period when he was at UCLA] anyway, but Stevie-boy's exit from the Big Dance in the round of 16 wasn't exactly unexpected. After all, he was matched up against Florida, which is the second-best collegiate team in the U.S., behind Iowa State. I'm well aware of some people who are happy Alford didn't advance any further in in The Dance. I'm referring to people at the paper. Had Alford and his Bruins won another game, whatever editor down there who is in charge of the paper's Sports Hall Of Fame might have been tempted to put Alford into the group, even though he was pretty much a flop as Iowa's coach. But the paper did put Dick Schultz into the Sports Hall Of Fame a number of years ago, and Schultz was an even worse coach than Alford. So anything can happen these days when it comes to the Sports Hall Of Fame. Anyone who came across the state in a covered wagon, and stopped to take a leak outside of a teepee at Tama seems to be eligible for the Sports Hall Of Fame, especially if he or she had a whistle and knew how to run a practice. Now that Alford and UCLA are history in The Dance, we can get onto the important stuff--like the Cyclones beating Connecticut tonight in its NCAA game at Madison Square Garden. I'm on record as picking Iowa State to not only win tonight, but to capture the NCAA title with two more victories after tonight. That's what I think of Fred Hoiberg's coaching and leadership abilities. I watched parts of all four games that were played last night, and happened to have the last few minutes of Arizona's 70-64 victory over San Diego State when the TV cameras showed Lute Olson cheering on the Wildcats. Frankly, I wish I had shut off my TV before the network chose to put God's Gift To Basketball Coaching [Olson's estimation only] on for all of America to see. I felt sorry for the man. He was shaking uncontrollably in front of the cameras. I feel I should protect him these days because I realize I am his favorite sportswriter after he devoted an entire page to me in his autobiography a few years ago. I covered a lot of Olson's games, of course, when he was Iowa's coach, and I consistently attempted to point him in the right direction both on and off the court. Now I don't like it when he's shown shaking on TV. He has said that it's a "vicious rumor" that he has Parkinson's Disease,adding that the shaking is the result of a stroke he suffered a few years ago. However, I thought I noticed him shaking while I was watching him standing at attention during the playing of the National Anthem a few seasons ago, prior to the start of one of his NCAA tournament games with Arizona. That, of course, was before the stroke. Oh, well. If Olson wants people to think the shaking is due to the stroke, so be it. He's God's Gift To Basketball Coaching, so I believe anything he says. For all I know, he's got another book in the works and will need me to help with it again.