RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It's a Bittersweet Wacky Wednesday for Me. I Talked About Writing To 5 Groups Of Wacky-Dressed Kids and Teachers At Mount Olive Lutheran School, Then Watched Valley's Girls' Basketball Season End At 22-2 With a 68-60 Loss To Southeast Polk In the Class 5-A State Tournament. 'When We Got To 22-1, We Thought We Could Win It All. But It Just Wasn't In the Cards,' Tigers Coach Joe Sigrist Tells Me


By RON MALY

I wasn't aware that this was Wacky Wednesday until the day actually got here.

Then it really got wacky for me.

A good news/bad news Wacky Wednesday, actually.

Julie DenHerder, the worship and music ministry director at Mount Olive Lutheran Church and School in Des Moines, contacted me a while back to see if I'd be interested in participating on fine arts day during National Lutheran Schools Week, which happens to be this week.

Wacky Wednesday at Mount Olive
Julie explained that she wanted me and three or four other people to talk to Mount Olive's students about what it is we do.

My assignment, obviously, would be to talk with the students about writing. Julie knew that I've had a long career as a writer and that I'm still practicing the craft in the form of authoring books and writing columns on 15 Internet websites.

I agreed to be at the school from 1 p.m. to 3:10 p.m. today.

However, little did I know then that the Valley High School girls' basketball team I've been following closely all season would be playing in the class 5-A state tournament on the day Wacky Wednesday was being celebrated at Mount Olive.
 
By the way, Wacky Wednesday at the school consisted of the teachers, staff and students dressing as wacky as they wanted throughout the day. You'll see the outfits in the photos below and at the right side.

Because of  it being Wacky Wednesday at Mount Olive, and because I had every intention of getting to Wells Fargo Arena in downtown Des Moines for at least some of the Valley-Southeast Polk basketball game that began at 3:15 p.m., the day got wackier for me than for a lot of others.

The 20-minute sessions--five in all--with the kids went smoothly at school. I told 'em how I'd gotten hooked on writing when, as a fourth-grader at Lincoln School in Cedar Rapids, I finished second in a city-wide essay contest.

In my essay, I wrote about why Joe DiMaggio of the New York Yankees was my favorite baseball player, and I received a  Louisville Slugger bat as my prize.

I told the kids that when Miss Dennis, the principal at Lincoln, found out I did so well in the essay contest, she asked me to give a speech to all of the other students at the school.

I told the kids today that everyone needs confidence-builders throughout their lives, and that was one I received.  Many thanks, Miss Dennis.

I also told the kids at Mount Olive about how one of my teachers at Wilson High School in Cedar Rapids--I think her name was Miss Jeffries--told me in an 11th-grade class, loudly enough so everyone else could hear, "Ron, I think you should go into some sort of journalism or writing career because I think you write very well."

Another confidence-builder, obviously.

I treasure the memory of Miss Jeffries to this day.

The second part of  Wacky Wednesday didn't go well for me.

After leading early in the game, 17-4, Valley lost to Southeast Polk, 68-60.

Thus ended the Tigers' marvelous season.

A 22-2 record. The disappointment of seeing their hopes for a state championship halted in the late afternoon of a cold, gray day in March.

I had watched the progress made throughout the season by Joe Sigrist's Valley team. The only loss in the Tigers' first 23 games was at Dowling.

I had a one-on-one conversation with Sigrist in the quiet of the interview room late in the day at Wells Fargo Arena. 

It was difficult listening to him talk about the costly defeat.

"Tough loss, Joe," I said. "But when the season began, did you envision getting this far with this team?"

"I did," Sigrist said. "Getting here [to the state tournament] was our big goal. And, when we got to 22-1, we thought we could win  it all.  But it just wasn't in the cards."

I made it to my seat on press row at the arena at halftime after the drive down I-235 and finally finding a place to park.

So I wasn't there early enough to see Valley's spurt to a 17-4 lead.

When I asked Sigrist what happened after that, he said, "We missed  a couple of assignments defensively and we let Southeast Polk get hot behind the arc. But they're great shooters.  We tried to get out on their good shooters and sag back for help on the non-shooters."

Sigrist said Valley didn't execute its game plan "the way we thought we could. They have tremendous shooters, and got those second-chance rebounds at crucial moments. Tip your hat to Southeast Polk."

This was Sigrist's second season as Valley's coach. He went 14-8 in his first season.

"I knew we'd be be better this season," he said. "We came in at 6 a.m. three days a week during the summer, and these girls worked hard to achieve this goal of getting to the state tournament. I'm so proud of them for winning our conference outright.

"It hurts right now, but we need to look at our tremendous accomplishments this season. I'm just so proud of our seniors, who got us to the state tournament for the first time in seven years. It's an honor to be their coach. The seniors can hold their heads high, knowing they put this program back on the map."

Sigrist, 32, said he's been teaching in the West Des Moines school system for seven years.

He teaches math at Valley Southwoods Freshman High School, and told me he has "worked my way up" the coaching ladder.

"I was an eighth-grade boys' coach ,at Stilwell Junior High, then when Jeff Horner got theValley boys' job, I joined his staff as a sophomore coach," he said. "When this girls' coaching job became available, I put my name into the hat, and I was fortunate enough to be chosen.

"I have no regrets. I love coaching these girls. They're an amazing group."

The extent of Sigrist's girls' coaching are the two seasons at Valley.

"I coached boys for nine years," he said. "That was in Ohio, Arizona and Iowa.

Sigrist was born in Massillon, Ohio--a city known more for football than its basketball--and said he's "a big Ohio State fan."

But he didn't attend Ohio State.

"I went to a small Catholic school, Walsh University, where I played basketball and baseball," he said.

Valley's administration and fans should feel fortunate he's here now.

The guy did an outstanding job in his second season as the girls'  basketball coach.

Wacky Wednesday at Mount Olive Lutheran, courtesy of Facebook
Ron at Wacky Wednesday With Kids I
Ron at Wacky Wednesday With Kids II
Ron at Wacky Wednesday With Kids III
Ron at Wacky Wednesday With Kids IV
Ron at Wacky Wednesday With Kids V
Valley's orange-clad fans at Wells Fargo Arena on Wacky Wednesday
[Photos by Mount Olive teachers and staff and Ron Maly]