RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I think you know by now how much I enjoy traveling. Tell me about a place anywhere in the world--especially if it's a warm place--and I want to go there. Especially in a winter like we've been having. Singapore is a place where we were 26 years ago on a Friendship Force exchange, and I've been thinking lately that it would be fun to go back. Singapore is close to the equator, and it's always warm there. I mean, we were there between Thanksgiving and Christmas in 1988, and it was warm [sometimes downright hot] every day. I just checked the weather forecast for Singapore, and saw that it's supposed to be 91 degrees there today and at least 90 throughout the rest of the week. Jack Ee, his mother Nancy and his father Mr. Ee [he never gave me his first name, so everyone just called him Mr. Ee] were our hosts in 1988, and we stayed in their high-rise apartment for a week. Jack later attended and graduated from Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass., and he came to visit us a couple of times during his collegiate years. He once stayed with us for a month. Nancy and her sister also came to West Des Moines to visit us for a week. Consequently, the goals of the Friendship Force program were fulfilled. We went there, they came here. One of the things Nancy used to talk to us about was the 50-cemt breakfast a person could get in Singapore. It was true. You could go to an outdoor food stand and get a good morning meal for less than a dollar. Now I'm wondering if those 50-cent breakfasts are still available because I've been reading the shocking news that Singapore suddenly has the highest cost of living of any city in the world. Newser reports that Tokyo [another place we've been a couple of times] has fallen from No. 1 to No. 6. Joining Singapore in the top 5 of the most costly cities are Paris, Oslo, Zurich and Sydney. We've been in Paris, Oslo and Zurich, but not Sydney. By the way, the cities with the cheapest prices are now in in India and Syria, where civil war has caused prices to plunge. I won't be going to those places, and now I'm having second thoughts about going back to Singapore until the prices drop. I want another 50-cent breakfast.


Singapore, courtesy of Google