RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Neighbor Al, The Health Nut, Has Mixed Emotions About This New Test for Alzheimer's Disease. He'd Like To Save Time By Having That Blood Test Done At the Same Time His Cholesterol Is Checked. But Then the Doctor Might Say, 'Al, Your Cholesterol Is Great. The Bad News Is You're Going To Start Showing Signs Of Alzheimer's In 3 Weeks'


By RON MALY

My neighbor Al, the Health Nut, stopped by this morning for a cup of Italian Dark Roast, and immediately began talking about....what else?  

Health.

"I was reading the latest health news on the Internet," Al said, "and saw a story that said there's a new blood test that can predict with 90 percent certainty whether old people will get Alzheimer's Disease," Al said.

"I saw that, too, Al," I said.  "It kind of sounds like you could go to a doctor and get tested for Alzheimer's on the same visit when you have your cholesterol checked.  Are you planning to have the test?"

"I'm not sure," Al answered. "I have mixed emotions about something like that."

"Why?" I asked.

Al said, "Well,  if I had the test done, my doctor might say, 'Al, your cholesterol is outstanding. Your total cholesterol is low and so is your LDL, the bad cholesterol. 

"'You're doing everything the right way. You're sticking to a low-fat diet and you're taking the statin for your cholesterol that I prescribed.'"

"'So you're pretty certain then that I should live to be 90 or 100?' I might say to the doctor.

"'Not so fast, Al,' the doctor might say.   'The other test wasn't so hot. It showed that you're going to start showing signs of Alzheimer's in three weeks.'"

"I see your point, Al," I said. 

"Pour me another cup," Al told me. "Let's talk about Valley's game tomorrow night in the boys'  basketball tournament."