RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

I didn't watch much of Iowa's football game on TV today. It was while I was observing parts of the 30-14 victory over an Illinois team that's got to be one of the worst in America that I started thinking about how much I don't like it that the Big Ten is split into West and East divisions. I realize, of course, that the main reason for the divisions is so the West champion can play the East champion in December to give the league a fat payday and decide which team is the conference champ despite all those regular-season games. But I don't like it that Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan aren't on the Hawkeyes' schedule. I'm from the old school that says it's not an official Iowa schedule unless the Hawkeyes tee it up against Ohio State and Michigan just like in the days when Forest Evashevski was coaching against Woody Hayes, and Hayden Fry was coaching against Bo Schembechler. Games week after week against Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland and Illinois don't exactly trip my trigger. I'm glad Iowa has already won seven games and will be going to a bowl, but I wish today's victory would have been over Michigan instead of those hapless Fighting [are we sure about that?] Illini. Heavens to Jim Delany, after that Illinois performance today, Red Grange must be rolling over in his grave