RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Al Schallau's Recipes for Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie and Sugar Free Maple Pecan Pie Are Right Up My Alley for Thanksgiving. I Hope All Of You Have a Very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow,
Thanksgiving, courtesy of Norman Rockwell
but Al Schallau is already making me hungry.

Al forwarded the following email to me that he sent to a member of his 1960 City High School of Iowa City class: 

I want to wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to our City High Class of 1960 and all their families and extended families. 

Attached are my own special recipes for Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie, and Sugar Free Maple Pecan Pie.  Those pies are really excellent.  I never use any sugar in the pies and breads that I bake.  I use sugar free maple syrup instead. The pies and breads taste great.  

Yes, I have become a gourmet baker of pies and breads -- all of that inherited from my late mother. 

Best regards,  AL SCHALLAU


AL SCHALLAU’S SPECIAL RECIPE FOR SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN PIE

INGREDIENTS

1 frozen pie crust from store's frozen food section
1 small can of pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix, just pumpkin)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of sugar free maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 heaping teaspoons of flour
1 & 1/2 cups milk (or evaporated milk) or combination of the two kinds of milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon sprinkled on just before baking

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

Mix the flour and the spices together in a bowl to prevent lumps.  Then mix all the ingredients in a big bowl. Pour the pumpkin mixture into an unbaked pie crust.  Sprinkle the one teaspoon of cinnamon on the pie batter just before baking. Put the pie mixture into the oven on the bottom shelf.  
 
AL SCHALLAU’S ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR
SUGAR FREE MAPLE PECAN PIE

Ingredients:

1 frozen unbaked pie shell, 9 inch
3 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar-free maple syrup
3 tablespoons of melted margarine – pour into a cup and microwave for 50 seconds
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 to 5 ounces of pecan pieces or pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack at lowest position. In a bowl, pour in beaten eggs. Add maple syrup, melted margarine, and vanilla extract. Stir well until the whole mixture looks evenly mixed. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Then sprinkle in the pecans until they essentially cover the mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the pie filling is set. After you remove the pie from the oven, put it in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for several hours before eating.

It tastes great with or without whipped cream on top. It is even better after it has been in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Note: I never use sugar in any of the pies or breads that I bake. I use sugar free maple syrup instead. Our pies and breads taste great. 
 
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Note -- My late mother's pumpkin pie recipe included one cup of sugar. I never include any sugar in the pies or breads that I bake. I always use sugar free maple syrup instead. The pies taste great. --- AL SCHALLAU 

[RON MALY'S COMMENTS--Those pies are right up my alley, whether it's Thanksgiving or not. I thanked Al for sending the recipes. I also asked him where I can find sugar free maple syrup [another thing that's right up my alley], and he said I can buy it at Hy-Vee or any other supermarket. That's good to know. I'll be buying it soon. Maybe even today. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone].