RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, November 3, 2014

New Cubs Manager Joe Maddon Is Already Talking About Playoffs and World Series. He's Got Me So Inspired That I'm Ready To Suit Up, Put On a Pair Of Baseball Spikes and Take Infield Practice--Things I Haven't Done for 62 Years

By RON MALY

 

The more I see of Joe Maddon and the more I hear him talk, the more I'm convinced the Chicago Cubs hired the right guy to be their manager. I watched Maddon's introductory press
Joe Maddon
conference on TV this afternoon, and I'm convinced he's just nutty enough to be a bigtime winner for a team that hasn't won a World Series for more than a century.  Or else, Maddon had already gotten into the red wine he's so fond of.  Indeed, Maddon said, "I'm gonna be talking playoffs next year. I'll tell you that right now. I can't go to spring training and say anything else. You have to set your goals high because, if you don't set them high enough you might hit your mark, and that's not a good thing. We're gonna talk World Series this year, and I'm gonna believe it. It's in our future."  Well, how could I expect anything else from a guy who interviewed for the Cubs' job while in his 43-foot Winnebago motor home named "Cousin Eddie" sitting in an RV park in Florida?  I'd heard that Maddon, who comes to the Cubs after success as the Tampa Bay Rays, thinks and does things outside the box. Well, I guess so. Ol' Joe got me so inspired that I almost wanted to suit up, put on some baseball spikes and take infield practice--things I haven't done for 62 years. Maddon finished the press conference, which was held at a bar near Wrigley Field, by announcing that he was picking up the tab for the first round of drinks.  Chicago is going to love this guy.