RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, November 10, 2014

The Fear Factor


Al Schallau is a native Iowan who now is an attorney in California. He has followed Hawkeye sports for many years, and he often contributes opinions and questions to these columns of mine.

His latest email to me:

"Ron, 

"One if my big gripes about Iowa football is that the Iowa news media persons are so patronizing to Coach Kirk Ferentz at his Tuesday press conferences.  

"Is there ONE PERSON among the press-pass carrying Iowa journalists who has the guts to say, 

"'Coach Ferentz, your team stunk up the place in every phase of the game at Minneapolis on Saturday.  Why was your team so poorly prepared for that game?'

"I look forward to your response to my above question. 

"Best regards,  AL SCHALLAU" 

Here's the email I sent Schallau:

"Al, I share your frustrations. However, all or most of a dwindling number of people in the sportswriting business are fearful of losing their jobs. Journalism in 2014 is made up mostly of writers and editors who are scared to death. Halfway through this season, Iowa City Press Citizen sports columnist Pat Harty was laid off after being with the paper for 23 years. Tough journalism is dead around here. The best thing for a reader to do is watch the games in person or on TV, and draw your own conclusions. Great hearing from you. I wish I had better news to report."