RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

'The Outsiders' At Valley High School Is a Big Hit


Some members of the cast from The Outsiders at Valley High School

By RON MALY

I enjoyed watching Ponyboy,  Two-Bit, Sodapop,  the Greaser Boys, the Greaser Girls, the Soc [short for Social] Girls, the Soc Boys, the Roller Skating Waitresses and lots of other
Stacy Hansen
characters today in the production in the school gym of The Outsiders by the Valley High School  Performing Arts Department.  


It was another outstanding show by director Stacy Hansen and a talented gang of actresses and actors from the West Des Moines school.  

The Outsiders novel about social class and conflict was authored in 1967 by S. E. Hinton, who began the project at the age of 15.  

Scenes in the play were The Home, The Drive-In, The Church,  The Dairy Queen, The Hospital and [again] The Home in the early-1960s. 

I've seen a number of Stacy Hansen's productions at Valley in recent years, and I had the opportunity after today's matinee performance to visit with her.  

"Were you a greaser or a soc in high school?" she asked me.  "Did you grease your hair back?"  

I replied: "I definitely would say I wasn't a greaser. I wore a flat-top haircut in those days, and I used butch wax [certainly not grease] to keep it in the shape I wanted it." 

Stacy asked if I remembered all of the songs from the Sixties that accompanied the play. 

"I sure do," I said. "Great stuff.  But the songs from the Fifties were better."