RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I Saw More Than My Share Of Blowout Losses


By RON MALY

There were some very interesting, humorous tweets during and after the blowout football defeats administered last
Saturday to Iowa and Iowa State by Minnesota and Kansas. 

Mike Mahon, who spent a quarter-century as Drake's sports information director, emailed me late that day to call my attention to a tweet from Chuck Offenburger, longtime author of the popular Iowa Boy column in the Des Moines Register.

Among the tweets: 


mike mahon @mahonsports
     
Look on the bright side. Safe to assume all sportswriters on #IowaHawkeye football beat got head start & got their leads written at halftime - 08 Nov
 
Chuck Offenburger @chuckoburger
@mahonsports I remember Ron Maly starting a blowout loss story: "Iowa's offense had the brilliance of a 15-watt light bulb Saturday as..."


I had forgotten about the opening paragraph I wrote following a Hawkeye avalanche defeat in the previous century.

I'm sure my comment about the "15-watt light bulb" disguised as a Hawkeye offense came during the 19-year period when Iowa didn't have a single winning season.

Those were the days, my friend.

My guess is that the Hawkeyes' coach then was either Frank Lauterbur or Bob Commings.