RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

A few items on a Sunday when I'm wondering if and when there will ever be a spring of 2014. As usual, I shook hands with the Rev. Kendall Meyer, who is in his second month of being The Official Pastor of this column, on my way out of church this morning. Sometimes, whether it's the baseball season or not, Kendall and I talk about the St. Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs on my exit from church. 'Have the Cubs won a game yet?' he asked me today. 'Yes, just one,' I answered. Kendall, a life-long Cardinals fan, knows I've been suffering along with millions of other Cubs fans for a very long time. 'Well, you can always come over to the Cardinals' side,' he told me today. 'Why not join a winner?' My answer: 'Kendall, things have to be a whole lot worse than they are now for me to hope the Cardinals win.' Now I have an update. The Cubs won their second game of the week-old season today by thrashing Philadelphia, 8-3. Their record is now 2-4. St. Louis lost at Pittsburgh, 2-1, and is now 3-3. I see that 79,444 basketball fans were in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX, last night for the first two games of the NCAA Final Four event. That's an all-time record for a Final Four, and it was the largest crowd in the that particular arena for a basketball game. Consequently, the NCAA made a lot of money, none of which goes to the players. No wonder collegiate athletes are trying to join labor unions. AT&T Stadium is where the Dallas Cowboys play their home games. I got plenty of views of it while watching last night's basketball games on TV. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a ticket because I saw plenty of seats that I would label as terrible. They were high [the seats and maybe also the people sitting in them] and behind the basket. Fans sitting there looked like they were in a different zip code than the court on which the teams were playing. Tomorrow night's championship game between Kentucky and Connecticut is a ho-hum deal for me. Frankly, I hope neither team wins.