RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Italian Dark Roast and Vitamin D



By RON MALY

My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut came over for a cup of Italian Dark Roast early this afternoon while I watching the Cubs play the Pirates on TV in the final game of their season-opening series at Pittsburgh.

"I thought I'd better check on you to make sure you didn't overdose on something early this morning," Al said.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked. 

"Well, I saw on the Internet a couple of hours ago that the Cubs lost to Pittsburgh in 16 innings in a game that ended at about 1 a.m.," Al said. 

"Being the Cubs fan you are, I thought maybe you'd take that 16-inning loss pretty hard.  I didn't know some of those stumblebums who play for the Cubs had enough energy to play 16 innings."  

"Listen, Al, I quit worrying about what the Cubs do a long time ago," I said. "It's been a ton of years since they won a World Series or even been in one, so there's no sense losing any sleep or brain cells trying to figure out what's wrong with that idiotic franchise.

"Believe it or not, Al, I was awake when the 16-inning game ended. I figured that as long as I'd seen 13, 14 or 15 innings, I might as well hang with the game until it ended. The fact that Pittsburgh won didn't surprise me a bit. The Pirates are a much better team than the Cubs."

While Al and I were drinking our Italian Dark Roast coffee, the Cubs' afternoon game today against Pittsburgh was on TV in my family room. So he and I were able to see the Cubs finally win a game. They blew a 3-0 lead, but managed to hang on and win, 3-2.  So at least they won't have a 0-162 record in 2014.

Al isn't much of a Cubs fan, and he doesn't follow baseball like he once did.  Ever since he got on this health kick, he doesn't pay much attention to sports  other than UNI football, He's been a UNI fan ever since Stan Sheriff coached there.

"Anything new with you?" I asked Al.

"Not much with me," Al said, "but I see you've been hanging around with your bigwig buddies from the University of Iowa, and eating hors d' oeuvres with them. I read what you wrote in your latest column, and it sounds like you had a great time.

"I saw that you also wrote that you'll be going to the Scottish Highlanders' reunion later this year in Iowa City.  You sure get to have all the fun."

Al's mention of hors d' oeuvres was in the regard to University of Iowa president Sally Mason's very nice reception that we were invited to a couple of nights ago at the State Historical Building.

It was exciting to hear about the bigtime progress Iowa is making with its $1.7 billion fundraising project that's going to benefit a lot of people.

"Iowa put on a first class show that night," I told Al, "and all Iowans should be aware and proud of what's going on at the university these days.  They've got some very impressive projects."

Whenever I see Al, I ask him how he's feeling. After all, he got the name [from me] My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut because he watches what he eats and drinks, he takes fish oil tablets and other vitamins, and he does all  the other stuff he can to stay in good shape for a guy his age.

"I'm feeling pretty well," Al said, "and I feel even better after reading a story in the New York Times this week about vitamin D."

"What did the story say?" I asked Al.

"It said that people with low vitamin D levels are more likely to die from cancer and heart disease," Al said.  "I heard about the benefits of vitamin D several years ago, so I pop two vitamin D pills every morning. I told you to do that too, didn't I?"

"You sure did," I said. "Like you, I take two vitamin D tablets every day, but I quit taking fish oil.  I make sure I eat a lot of fish, though. And I'm in my third year of not having a cold."

"Keep it up," Al said. "And the next time you see those bigwigs from Iowa City, tell them to do the same thing. My goal is to keep as many people as possible healthy, whether they're fans of Iowa, UNI, Drake, Iowa State or any other collegiate team in this state."

"Well said," I told Al. "I'll pour you another cup of Italian Dark Roast."