RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, April 7, 2014

I wrote yesterday that I hoped neither Connecticut nor Kentucky would win tonight's NCAA barasketball championship. There was no particular reason for me to care for either team. I've disliked Kentucky's program ever since Adolph Rupp coached there, and I like it even less now that John Calipari is there. I'm in the habit of hoping underdogs win championships, and Kentucky is certainly no underdog. For that matter, neither is Connecticut, which is the team that knocked Iowa State out of the tournament with an 81-76 victory in the Sweet Sixteen at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Every season, Kentucky's Calipari has a teamful of blue-chip, broad-shouldered freshmen who look like they're 35 years of age and have been in the NBA for 15 years. That said, I guess I'm kind of happy that Connecticut won the title with a 60-54 victory in Arlington, TX. The Huskies' roster certainly doesn't cause a person to use the term student-athlete because Connecticut has a sorry history of not having players in its program who leave the campus with degrees. But I'm glad the Huskies' Kevin Ollie outcoached Calipari, who admitted to TV viewers after the game that he went into the last half thinking his team would win. Ollie and his players wouldn't let it happen. Good for them.