RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

It's a good thing I woke up early today, as I do on most Sundays. My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut, was up even earlier. Al was already reading the paper at Hy-Vee when he called on the phone while I was on my second cup of Italian Dark Roast. 'I know you've got a busy day today, so I wanted to mention something to you before you get started,' Al said. 'I brought my laptop with me to Hy-Vee because I always like to check the New York Times to get the latest health news. You may or may not believe this, but I saw a story in the Times that said drinking milk might slow the progression of knee arthritis.' 'That's good to know,' I said. 'My left knee bothered me every once in a while. But I haven't had any trouble with it for several years. Maybe it's because I've been drinking more milk. But I don't drink dairy milk, I drink soy milk and flax milk. In fact, I'm about ready to make myself my usual bowl of raisin bran with pumpkin seeds and flax seeds and soy milk. Maybe that's why my knees have been feeling so good lately.' 'Well, I've got a thought,' Al said. 'Maybe you and I should quit drinking Italian Dark Roast so often when we talk about Iowa and UNI football and how bad the paper is. What do you think about drinking milk instead?' 'Listen, Al,' I said. 'We don't need to go to that extreme. I'll keep drinking plenty of soy and flax milk, but I'm not going off Italian Dark Roast completely. In fact, I'm pouring myself another cup right now.' It's good to have a neighbor like Al.