RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, April 4, 2014

My Golf Clubs Will Stay In the Garage


By RON MALY

First of all, I want to point out that I haven't played golf for at least two or three years, and I have no plans to hit the links in 2014. 

I certainly have nothing against the sport, but I decided long ago that I had neither the time nor the talent required to play a round of golf  that I actually enjoyed. 

I mean, I'm so bad on the tees, the fairways and the greens that I'd need to live another 50 years to be able to shoot my age.

I thoroughly enjoy walking in the sun for two or three hours on a spring, summer and fall day, but having a golf club in my hands wouldn't make me any happier. 

I also don't watch golf on TV, and I don't read about golf.

I certainly know who Tiger Woods is, but I don't give a damn that he's not going to be playing in the upcoming Masters tournament.  

In addition, I've never read Golf Digest magazine, and I won't be reading the upcoming  issue that's got a photo of Paulina Gretzky, the daughter of former hockey standout Wayne Gretzky, on the cover.

The reason I'm bringing all of this up is that some golfers on the women's professional golf tour view the Golf Digest cover as a lack of respect.

They wonder why Golf Digest put Paulina Gretzky on the cover to sell magazines, just like Sports Illustrated puts women in bathing suits in its magazine one week every winter to sell magazines.

I understand where these critics are coming from.

They wonder why Golf Digest put Paulina Gretzky instead of a female golf professional on its cover.

People have been upset for years with Sports Illustrated, but the magazine continues to pay women to pose in bathing suits, and women keep accepting the money for taking off their clothes, or most of their clothes.

Some things never change.

I don't subscribe to Sports Illustrated, and read it only if it's in the barber shop when I go there for a haircut.

And, like I said earlier, I have no plans to read Golf Digest, whether Paulina Gretzky is pictured on the front or not.

And I have zero desire to get the golf clubs out of my garage for the first time in two or three years just because Paulina Gretzy is wearing a white outfit on the cover of a magazine. 

So you don't have to waste any money on a copy of Golf Digest, I've included the cover photo here of Paulina Gretzky, courtesy of the magazine.

If you don't want to look at it, cover your eyes.

I have to be honest. I've looked at the picture.