RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I've been on the road a lot lately, and certainly haven't spent any time reading newspapers. Of course, I wouldn't have been reading any papers if I'd been home, either. I did hear from a guy, though, who occasionally reads the paper in Des Moines, but only when he goes to the Franklin library once or twice a week. 'You can't believe anything in that paper,' the guy tells me in an email. 'I'm a fan of the Chicago Cubs, and I checked the National League standings this morning to see if the Cubs were still in last place. They were, but the National League Central standings in the paper were a day old. I heard on last night's telecast of the Cubs' game that they have a 7-12 record, but the paper says they're 6-12. They didn't even have the score of last night's win over Arizona. In fact, the paper didn't have the scores of six major league games that were played last night.' I guess that extra space provided to the paper by USA Today isn't working out so well after all. The scores get in the paper, providing the games are finished by 7 p.m. the day before. Meanwhile, back to the Internet.


*

Another example of how people at the paper don't know what they're doing [and don't know the news they're missing]: The mother of a man I know died last Saturday morning, but her obituary wasn't published in the paper until today. "The damn Des Moines Register was supposed to have her obituary in the paper Tuesday through Thursday [the day of the funeral]," the man told friends. "But they messed up. Then they said what about running the obituary in Friday's paper? A lot of good that would do one day after the funeral."  Just think, that family is being charged a ton of money by a newspaper that screwed up the publishing of the obituary.