RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

II'll be checking my calendar to make sure I've got no conflicts for late-August. That's because my mail today included an invitation to the University of Iowa's Scottish Highlanders reunion, which will be held Aug. 28-31 in Iowa City and Coralville. By the way, this is no April Fools' Day joke. Because I played the bagpipes and marched with the Highlanders only once, I guess I'm considered an alumnus of the group that performed at halftime of the Hawkeyes' home football games from 1937 through 1980. During one particular 19-year dry spell in Hawkeye football history [the team didn't have a winning record in any of those years], one of my bosses thought I needed a break and assigned me to play the bagpipes and march with the Highlanders during a game, then write a story about it for the Sunday paper. We did fun stuff like that in those days, and I'll go into further detail about how it all came about when the reunion gets closer. Meanwhile, I've got to make sure I clear the decks for the last week in August. If I know the Highlanders the way I think I do, I'd better be well rested for the get-together on the opening weekend of the football season.