RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Hawkeyes, Again



By RON MALY

We had a decision to make.

Several weeks ago, we were invited to the  University of Iowa Presidential Reception that was held last night at the State Historical Building.

Then, a few days ago, we were informed that one of our granddaughters would be appearing with her standout high school jazz choir group in a competition the same night at a school in Story County.

Nearly 100 percent of the time, when we're faced with scheduling conflicts like that, we attend the events in which our grandchildren participate.


Family, of course, always comes first.


Well,  almost always.

This time, we stayed with the commitment we'd made to the event at the State Historical Building. 


That was fine with our granddaughter and her parents because the jazz choir performance was one we had seen and heard earlier in this school year.

The presidential reception featured Sally
Sally Mason
Mason, Iowa's president, speaking to a large roomful of University of Iowa alumni and friends in connection with a $1.7 billion fundraising project that is making huge strides.


It was good to see and visit with lots of friends--some of them longtime friends, some of them new friends--at the gathering.

The first person who greeted me was Dave Triplett, the former Hawkeye football player and assistant coach who is now a university fundraiser.

Triplett played his high school football at Dowling of West Des Moines, then was in the Hawkeye program from 1968-1971 as a wide receiver. 

He led the Hawkeyes with 28 catches for 428 yards as a senior, and won the Forest Evashevski Scholarship Achievement Award. He was an academic all-American as a senior.
Dave Triplett


"I saw that you were going to be here, so I wanted to make sure we talked," said Triplett, recalling my newspaper years when I covered his Hawkeye teams that were coached by Ray Nagel and Frank Lauterbur.

Also introducing herself to me was Catherine Zaharis, business director, Finance Career Academy in the Henry B. Tippie School of Management at the University of Iowa.

Catherine got my attention right away by telling me she went to school with one of my sons and that  she's a regular reader of the columns I write on my Internet websites.

That got me thinking for a second or two.

"Well, then, I guess I'd better clean up my language in some of that stuff I write, knowing you're reading it," I responded with a laugh.

Catherine Zaharis

"Just keep writing the same way you've always been writing," Catherine said with a smile. "Don't change a thing."

That's good enough for me, and great visiting with you, Cathy.

A half-dozen other university officials asked for my Internet website addresses because they, too, want to see what I'm writing these days.

The best way people can please a writer, of course, is to ask where they can get his book [I've written three Tales from the Iowa Sidelines books, including the original version and two updates, on Iowa football], and how they can get to his Internet columns on their computers. 

Before Sally Mason spoke, a video was shown that told the University of Iowa story and explained the goals of the present $1.7 billion fundraising project.

Among those shown in the video was Willard "Sandy" Boyd, who was Iowa's president twice--from 1969-1981 and then on an interim basis in parts of 2002 and 2003.
Sandy Boyd

Boyd, who celebrated his 87th birthday March 29, still teaches law at Iowa, and there's a building [the Boyd Law Building] named after him on the campus.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Although Iowa's football program encountered some difficult seasons when Boyd was president, he did something that impressed me.

I always seemed to be in the middle of what was going on in the Hawkeye athletic department in those years. 

Indeed, I was writing plenty about a football program that endured 19 consecutive years of non-winning records.

To my surprise, Boyd one day stopped by the newspaper building in downtown Des Moines where I worked to visit with me about the state of the Hawkeyes' football program.

I had a wonderful conversation with him, and he made sure he told me there would be better days ahead on the field for Iowa.


Obviously, that happened when Hayden Fry was hired during Sandy's years as president.

Boyd's visit with me in the newsroom marked the first time I'd had the privilege of a one-on-one meeting with a university president. 


It's not every day that the president of a Big Ten Conference university stops by for an upbeat visit with the guy who's covering his school's football team.

I mentioned that meeting which took place many years ago last night to some of the Iowa officials I visited with, and one man said he's going to line up a future conversation between Sandy and me.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.

And also needless to say, I had a wonderful time at last night's reception. 

We'll be catching up with our granddaughter, the singer, when she and other members of the high school jazz choir and show choir perform in the future.

[Photos and illustrations courtesy of the University of Iowa].