RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

As far as I'm concerned, Wichita State of the Missouri Valley Conference is the best team in collegiate basketball this season, and Gregg Marshall is the best coach. People can argue with me all day, all week and all month that the Shockers don't play as tough a schedule as some other teams, and I will agree with them to a point. However, Wichita State is the only Division I team in the history of collegiate basketball to have a 30-0 record during the regular season, and that's why I think Marshall and his squad are a clear No. 1. They certainly don't deserve to be No. 2, like they are in the polls. For Marshall to coach the Shockers to 30 consecutive victories after a season in which they went to the NCAA Final Four is absolutely amazing. I don't care if a team is playing in the Missouri Valley Conference, the Big 12, in a YMCA noon league or in a pickup game at a junior high gym, it's extremely difficult, next to impossible to go 30-0. To be emotionally and physically prepared every night and every day a game is scheduled is very, very challenging. Marshaill and his Wichita State players have answered every challenge. I know there are those who say the Shockers likely wouldn't be 30-0 if Creighton was still in the Valley, but I'm not buying that either. I'd certainly like to see a Wichita State-Creighton matchup--and it may happen in the NCAA tournament--but I feel the Shockers are a better team and would do very well against Creighton if both teams were in the Valley. Speaking of the Valley, I'm not so certain that Wichita State is the best team ever to play in that historic league. I have no idea how the Shockers would do against the Cincinnati teams that played in the league when Oscar Robertson was starring for them, or how they'd fare against Maury John's Drake teams that went to three successive NCAA tournaments in 1968-69, 1969-70 and 1970-71 [finishing third in the 1969 Final Four]. That was then, this is now. Players were very good then, players are very good now. Unfortunately, those Oscar Robertson and Maury John teams will never get the chance to play Wichita State. I stand on what I say about this 2013-2014 Wichita State team. It's the best in the nation, and Gregg Marshall is the best coach in the nation. If Iowa State or Iowa don't win the national championship, I hope Wichita State does.

Gregg Marshall

Maury John
Oscar Robertson


--Photos and illustration courtesy of Google.