RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

I realize we all believe a first-year collegiate coach deserves a one-season honeymoon period. Meaning, of course, that we shouldn't jump to too many conclusions on how a coach is doing in Year One after inheriting someone else's players and someone else's scheduling responsibilities. That brings me to the basketball situation at Drake. First of all, let me point out that ever since I moved here in 1959, I've been in the Bulldogs' corner. Those of you who know me understand that. I quickly realized that Drake was an excellent university and had an outstanding basketball coach in Maury John. I knew he wanted to build a strong program. I also quickly realized Drake usually had to play in the shadow of Iowa and Iowa State, and that the Bulldogs generally got a screwing from the paper and the TV stations here. I did all I could to change that. Once I got to know Maury John better and began covering his team's games, I felt even stronger that he was going to be a success. He certainly was that. His outstanding 1968-69 team went to the Final Four and his next two teams also advanced to the NCAA tournament. Three straight seasons in the Big Dance. That's quite a deal at Drake or anywhere else in America. However, it's generally been a struggle at Drake ever since Maury John left. Tom Davis finally came from Iowa to show that someone could win at Drake, and his son Keno took the Bulldogs to that marvelous 28-5 season that included a Missouri Valley Conference title and an NCAA tournament game in 2007-2008. Now Drake has another first-year coach. His name is Ray Giacoletti, and I was impressed with how things went in November and December for him. Maybe another Maury John on the horizon, I thought. Drake had a 10-3 record and won its first Valley game over Evansville, 94-66, on New Year's Night. Things were looking good. However, the Bulldogs lost their next five, and now they're on a four-game losing streak. For the season, they're 12-13 overall and 3-10 in the Valley. I'm not as close to the program as I once was because I now have many more interests. Collegiate basketball is probably about No. 6 or No. 7 on my list of priorities. However, I guess I'm wondering if Giacoletti is the right guy for the Drake job. I'm wondering what's gone wrong since December. These Valley teams that are whacking Drake can't be that much better than the teams the Bulldogs were beating early in the season, can they? This season is wasting away. There are only three home games left, starting Saturday night with one against new Valley member Loyola of Chicago at the Knapp Center. Let me know if you've got any answers. I'd like Ray Giacoletti to succeed.

Knapp Center. Photo courtesy of Drake University.