RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Morning TV At Its Worst




By RON MALY

It took a while--two or three hours, I think--but people in the makeup room at CBS-TV finally managed to get Charlie Rose's eyes opened this morning with the use of a crowbar and some medical tools usually used only in the most complicated types of surgery. 

Old Charlie is one of the hosts for the early news program at CBS, and he always looks like he's just come in from spending 6 weeks at the nearest bar.

 Of course, I need to remember that Charlie isn't a kid anymore. 

He's 72, but certainly
Charlie Rose
doesn't look his age. 

He looks more like 92.

I don't think his eyes have been fully open since 1963. 

Why CBS has him as its morning wake-up guy is beyond me. 

I've watched that program three or four times in the last year, and Charlie never looks like he's awake. 

I think one of the interns at the network has been assigned to check Charlie every 15 minutes or so to make sure he still has a pulse. 

That sounds like a good job for Lolo Jones when she finally gets the TV gig she's looking for. 

Actually, maybe somebody at CBS wanted Edward R. Murrow for the morning show, then found out he was unavailable. 

Murrow died 49 years ago at the age of 57, probably from smoking too many cigarettes on the TV set.  

Rumor has it he smoked 3 packages of Camels a day. 

The morning news shows like to give us cheerleader, viewer-friendly stuff. 

If I heard it once, I heard it 74 times today that the Russians lost their hockey game at the Winter Olympics. 

And a chattery reporter told us, "It may cost you more for your barbecue this summer." 

I guess she meant the price of beef is-what else?--soaring higher. 

The last thing I'm going to worry about on Feb. 20 is what beef is going to cost in June or July.  

Hey, I'm not interested. 

I don't eat beef and won't be buying any.  

Anyway, the only reason I turned on that early-morning show was to find out what was being said about the blizzard that's coming our way. 

I've heard so many horror stories already about the upcoming storm that I'm fully expecting all of Iowa to either be buried under 137 feet of snow or blown into Illinois. 

The weather girl on CBS mentioned Iowa when she talked about the blizzard, and about how the entire midwest
Edward R. Murrow
might disappear forever today. 

I think Charlie Rose grunted once when she said that. 

Those morning network shows always switch to their local affiliates every few minutes so viewers can get a report on how the weather is going to be for--using a favorite TV word--our "commute." 

I keep hoping the contract of Kurtis Gertz, one of the 20 or 27 TV weather-people employed at KCCI, has expired, but unfortunately he was on the tube again this morning. 

Kurtis said our state would, indeed, have blizzard-like conditions today. 

He added that things could get really bad this afternoon and tonight. 

Hell, it was just a few days ago that Kurtis was telling KCCI's viewers that only rain would be falling today. 

I should've known better than to believe anything he said. 

Maybe Gertz will be the KCCI announcer standing alongside I-235 when the 6 p.m. news is on, and it's snowing. 

Hopefully, the driver of a semitrailer headed for Laramie, Wyo., will feel sorry for him, pick him up and take him away.