RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

From the Ridiculous To the Lousy


By RON MALY

The last thing I needed to see was yet another newspaper story on Lolo Jones, the most over-hyped, written-about athlete who never has won an Olympic gold medal.  I didn't, of course, read the latest ridiculous story about Jones that was headlined LOLO SEES TV IN HER FUTURE.  Well,  maybe she's smarter than I think. At least she doesn't see newspapers in her future. Once I saw the headline and bylines, I knew I wouldn't be reading anymore.  I don't read anything written [or co-written] by Daniel P. Finney or Roland H. Thompson, his stablemate. The way I have it figured, the stories they write are fake, and so are they.


*

Actually, I'm on the mailing list of an Olympic official who's been writing an informative, mostly-humorous diary about the goings-on at the winter games. The diary, which is emailed to me every day, contains much better stuff than anything in newspaper stories. At least stories published in the paper here.

*

I was never much of a fan of USA Today. With that paper now included  in what I receive from my Des Moines carrier,  I've become less of a fan of USA Today.

*

Still on the subject of not getting any bang for your buck [or at least Gannett's buck], Bryce Miller was 24 hours late on an earlier Lolo Jones story in the paper. That was the one in which Lolo kept referring to herself as an underdog. The Associated Press produced that same story on Jones the day before it was in the paper here. Looks to me like all of the reporters got their interviews at one mass press conference.  Reporters love press conferences, and Lolo knows how to pick her spots.

*

And so the paper is trying to convince me and everyone else that there's something new about it?  Forget it.

*

Another thing I don't need to read about--and don't read about--in the paper is anything about downtown Des Moines.  I spent 40 years of my life there, and I try to go nowhere near downtown Des Moines anymore.

*

I'm trying to tell myself I was wrong about this because Andrew Logue is a good guy and a hard worker. But I read his story on Drake basketball player Aaron Hawley twice to see if he tried to contact ex-Bulldogs coach Mark Phelps about why Phelps ran Hawley off the team. I didn't see any quotes from Phelps or anything that said the paper tried to contact him for the story.

*

The Aaron Hawley situation tells me a lot about the state of Drake basketball. The new coaches
found one of their best players working out in some sort of  gym. That's about like recruiting in the noon league at the YMCA.

*

My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut, asked me how the paper could afford to send a reporter all the way to Morgantown, W. Va., for just one story. I told Al I don't know. I also told him I wasn't aware of the story to which he was referring. I don't always read the paper, or I don't care to read it. Maybe the story from Morgantown was in the paper during the time I was writing one of my books. I've been busy lately, and reading something from Morgantown, W. Va., has never been high on my list of priorities. The paper has a lot of problems, and stuff like My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut was talking about is obviously one of them.

*

I was planning to write a paragraph or two about what I think about the so-called new paper. I've changed my mind. At this stage of my life, I don't have the desire, the energy or the time to write that kind of stuff anymore.  Like I used to say about the college football coaches around here, "I wish 'em luck. They'll need it." Hopefully, the people in charge at the paper will be keeping a close watch on Daniel P. Finney's hard drive, as sickening a thought as that seems. Finney's phoniness and  hard drive have gotten him into big-time newspaper trouble in the past, and my guess is it'll happen again.

*

I  don't read enough of the paper these days to really care about what's in it.  By the time the paper shows up, I already know more about most things that are in it because I've read the news from other sources on the Internet the day before. I sure as hell don't need to read anymore about Iowa or Iowa State basketball games. That's on the Internet the night before. The paper, of course, does a
horrible job of covering high school sports, especially in the Central Iowa Metropolitan League, so I go to a number of the games [I always try to make it to the Valley games] to get a handle on what's going on.  If there's a story in the paper on the game I saw [and there's no assurance there will be], it consists of one or two paragraphs written by the night janitor or someone else who got the information from the box score. Very irresponsible.  

*

Another thing I can't figure out is why Drake's athletic teams keep getting a big-time screwing from the paper.

*

I occasionally scan the obituaries to see if there are any newspaper people or ex-neighbors in them, and that's about it for me.  But I wouldn't even need to do that. A person could get the obit information from funeral homes' websites on the computer.

*

I've never heard of a basketball coach said his or her team had a bad shoot-around on the day of a game.

*

The high school football and basketball reporting, as well as the reporting on Drake,
aren't the only things that are lousy in the paper. So is the health reporting and the so-called health section. All or most of it is done by freelancers, who wouldn't know a good health story if the Mayo Clinic called and told 'em they'd just figured out how to cure cancer.  The freelancer would tell the Mayo Clinic, "I don't have time to take the information now. I'm working on  story about weight loss, diets, workouts and bicycling. That's all we care about here."


*

Roses & Thistles and My 2 Cents Worth are not among the things I waste my time reading. Thistles to the paper for publishing the crap.

*

The reason I wrote most of this stuff is because Amalie Nash, the paper's new 37-year-old
Editor and vice president for audience engagement
editor and vice president for audience engagement [hey, I didn't make up that title--it's in the paper] had a story today that was headlined, WE'RE LISTENING.  KEEP THE FEEDBACK COMING--IT'S YOUR REGISTER. Amalie is from Detroit. Rumor has it that she drew the short straw when they held a staff meeting at her old paper there. The  boss said, "We need somebody to go to Des Moines.  Amalie, you're our go-to gal. I realize it's not Saginaw or Grand Rapids,  but at least they're not murdering quite as many people in Des Moines as they are in Detroit.  That should cheer you up. Amalie, you like to investigate things. So go to Des Moines and find out why the hell everyone there is canceling their subscription to the paper. The people at Gannett want to know. While you're gone, I'll use your season pass to the Tigers' games.  I know you're a  big baseball fan, so go to Sec Taylor Stadium in Des Moines and see if they'll give you a press pass to the Triple-A games there. If they won't give you one, and they probably won't, buy your your own tickets, and don't you dare put the cost on your expense account.   Gannett's bean-counters will be watching. While you're in Des Moines, do like every other editor there has been doing in recent years--cut the news staff in half.  Fire the old farts first. That means anyone over 50. As for your newspaper future,  you are listed as day-to-day. Don't take your lunch to work."


*

Hey, like I said, I'm not making that up. Amalie Nash is listed as the editor and vice president for audience engagement at the paper here. I've never heard of anything like that.



Photos and illustrations courtesy of Google and the Detroit Free Press